Harm Reduction Tips for Avoiding COVID19 when Buying Drugs
The following guidelines were developed by Russell Newcombe and Cheryl White (of 3D Research: firstname.lastname@example.org) for dissemination among the global community.
This advice aims to protect you, your dealer, the police, and everyone. It is safer for one dealer to visit lots of customers than for several customers to visit one dealer; both options are covered below. Ask your dealer to follow these steps too.
BUYING DRUGS WHEN YOUR DEALER VISITS YOU AT YOUR HOME
1) Protect yourself with at least a mask and gloves when you meet your dealer at the door/in your hallway, and stay at least 6 feet away from them whenever possible
2) Put your money down on the floor/table and step back 6 feet while the dealer picks up the money and puts the drugs down
3) After your dealer leaves, you can then pick up the packages, clean them with an alcohol-based sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol) – or transfer the drugs to another bag/container - and then wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
BUYING DRUGS WHEN YOU VISIT YOUR DEALER AT THEIR HOME OR IN PUBLIC
1) Before leaving to visit your dealer, protect yourself with at least a mask and gloves.
2) Rehearse a valid reason for why are you are outside, to give to police if they stop you and ask where you’re going – and use ‘props’ to back this up. For instance, be prepared to say that you’re going shopping for yourself or a vulnerable person, making sure both that you are carrying a shopping bag and that you have details of your supermarket and/or an address close to where your dealer lives.
3) Stay at least 6 feet away from your dealer and all other people you meet - though note that the police are allowed to come closer to you. Be respectful to the police
4) Buy as many drugs as you can afford on one visit, but (a) no more than you can reasonably hide on your person or in grocery bags/boxes, and (b) keep in mind the risk of being charged with possession with intent to supply if you are caught with several bags/wraps
5) Avoid getting into cars or any other small, confined spaces when you meet your dealer. Meeting them at their home or a private building is probably the safest: put your money on the floor/table and step back 6 feet while the dealer picks up the money, puts the drugs down, and retreats back 6 feet; you can then pick up the drugs and leave
6) Avoid hiding the drug packages inside your mouth, anus or vagina – if you do, clean them with an alcohol-based sanitizer first
7) Go home using a different route so that if you come across police again, it won’t be the same officers who may have stopped you on your way out
8) When you get home, clean the drug packages with an alcohol-based sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol) if it’s been inside your body – or transfer the drugs to another bag/container - and then wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.